This festive season Mgilija Properties wants home owners and tenants alike to ensure that they enjoy a safe and secure festive season. Despite the festive season being a few days the crime rate can shoot up in a matter of days, there are occasions when some residents become the subject of a crime. At this time of year one of the main areas of concern for every home owner is burglary. Homes can be vulnerable to burglars, particularly when they are unoccupied in the late afternoon and early evenings but residents can take some simple steps to make their homes more secure by following some simple advice:
- When leaving the house unattended make sure all the windows and doors are locked, pay particular attention to those at the rear of the house. Don’t forget to lock the shed and garage too.
- Make the house look occupied by using automatic timer switches on indoor lights either upstairs or in a room that cannot be peered into from the street.
- Using a timer switch with a radio tuned to a talk station also gives the illusion that somebody is home.
- Burglars like the dark so an outside automated light can act as a good deterrent.
- Make sure presents are kept out of sight and after presents have been opened, dispose of the boxes properly to ensure the contents of the house aren’t being advertised.
- Other tips include making sure that car keys are kept hidden out of sight and that keys to property aren’t left outside under a plant pot or door mat.
- To help keep the whole of the street safe, residents can get involved with their local Neighbourhood Watch Scheme.
- Looking out for neighbours means that burglars have to work much harder – for further information about joining Neighbourhood Watch contact your local police station to find out if there is one in your community.
- Finally residents are being urged to report any suspicious callers or activity to the police by dialing 999 or 9999 or if they believe a crime is taking place, giving as much information as possible.